Thursday, March 5, 2009

Off to Ireland!

Made it up to London on Monday and stayed there only for the night. While there Eric found out that the Celtic FC game we had planned on watching had been moved so over night we rearranged our schedule and decided to go up to Glasgow the next morning. I have been to Glasgow before, but that was about 5 years ago. So it was a little surprissing to me to see how much I remembered. We stayed at the same hostel I had stayed at years before and it brought back memories of my last stay. I could remember the room I stayed in and I noticed they had changed the wall colors of the hostel. Walking around the streets seemed so familiar. It was strange how comfortable it felt.

On Wednesday we took a day trip to Edinburgh and saw the castle there. I have pictures but the camera is at the hostel and I am at the internet cafe. Just picture me by some stones until I get a chance to post some pictures. Afterwards we went back to Glasgow to catch the Celtic FC game at one of the local sports bars. Eric and I bought some Celtic gear and wanted to go to a bar that allowed colors, so we went to Bairds. That was the place recomended to us by some Celtic fans at least. We got there early and waited for the game. For those of you who have never had this experience, a scotish bar is a very interesting place to be. While waiting for the game there were two elderly chaps who had more than enough drinks for the night. At one point one of them fell over. Several people came up to me, as I was sitting at the bar, and would start talking to me. The problem was that understanding a scot is hard, understanding an inebriated scot is pretty much impossible. I just nodded a lot and laughed when they did. My previous european adventures had tought me that leason. Anyways, game time rolled around but still no game on the TV. Eric asked the bartender what was going on and it ended up thee Celtic bar to go to did have the game. So we ran down the street to another bar and found the game there. For the curious, Celtic won 2-1 and Rangers lost 1-0. One the way home people noticed I had Celtic colors and either asked me the score or told me the score with a smile. I caused one elderly woman to dance with joy once I told her Celtic won and rangers lost.

Thursday we had to wake up early. I would have posted pictures of a really nice Glasgow sunrise right here if I had the camera. But today I headed off to Ireland. Took the train down to Holyhead and got to see a lot of the country side in Wales. Took a few pictures but the glare from the train ruined most of them. From Holyhead, took the ferry over to Dublin which is where I am currently. The ferry I took was a little slower but more impressive than the faster one. This is the first ferry I have been on that had two movie theaters. Tonight I am off to a little Irish pub across the street that offers live music. Should be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment